Embakasi East MP Babu Owino has accused Homa Bay Governor Gladys Wanga of bearing responsibility for the death of Noureen Nalwanga, who reportedly died after being run over by a campaign vehicle during the Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay on Sunday.
Babu made the statement after Homa Bay Governor Gladys Wanga visited Nalwanga’s family at Mbuni Estate, where she condoled with relatives and friends following the death of Noureen Nalwanga, whom she described as an innocent victim of the political violence witnessed during the rally.
In a strongly worded statement, Babu accused Governor Wanga of allowing political interests to take precedence over the safety of residents.
“Those kids are now orphans because of your greed for both power and money Gladys Wanga. You are liable for the death of that innocent woman. Shameless Governor Gladys Wanga.”
Babu’s remarks come amid growing political fallout over the violence that disrupted the Linda Mwananchi activities in Homa Bay, with several people injured, raped, killed and property damaged.
The MP said he had remained opposed to political violence throughout his nearly two decades in politics, arguing that disagreements between political factions should never result in the loss of innocent lives.
Homa Bay Governor Gladys Wanga on her side condemned the violence witnessed during Sunday’s Linda Mwananchi rally, following the death of Mama Noureen Nalwanga, who was reportedly run over by a campaign vehicle.
Wanga said she visited Nalwanga’s family at Mbuni Estate to offer her condolences and stand with the bereaved family.
She condemned political violence, provocation and lawlessness, saying political competition should never come at the expense of human life.
Political competition must never supersede our shared humanity, dignity and respect for human life,” Wanga said
She further described Homa Bay as a historic ODM stronghold and said the party’s history of fighting for democratic freedoms should make political leaders more protective of those freedoms rather than allowing violence and intimidation to take root.
The death of Nalwanga has added another layer to the controversy surrounding the rally, which has already triggered competing accusations from political leaders over who organised, participated in or failed to prevent the violence.
The growing political confrontation has also raised renewed questions over the safety of political rallies in the country, particularly as rival camps increasingly accuse each other of deploying violence and organised groups to disrupt political activities.
The political fallout comes as the National Cohesion and Integration Commission (NCIC) has stepped into the Homa Bay controversy.
The commission summoned Homa Bay Town MP George Peter Opondo Kaluma to appear before it on August 19, 2026, over remarks he made during a political gathering in Homa Bay on August 15, a day before the Linda Mwananchi rally. NCIC says Kaluma is required to assist with its ongoing investigations.
The summons reportedly carries a warning that failure to appear could result in arrest.
Kaluma has rejected accusations that his remarks fuelled the violence, arguing that Homa Bay residents had been provoked and that the situation could have been worse had they responded violently.
The NCIC has also condemned the violence and warned that rising political intolerance could push the country towards lawlessness. The commission has indicated that it intends to hold political actors accountable for inflammatory remarks and other conduct that contribute to political tensions.
The Homa Bay confrontation has now triggered competing accusations from both political camps. Linda Mwananchi leaders have accused rival groups of attacking their delegation, while Kaluma and other ODM leaders have rejected attempts to blame them without investigations. ODM MPs, led by Kaluma, have called for authorities to allow investigations to establish what actually happened before individuals are publicly blamed.
Kaluma has separately called for the arrest and prosecution of Siaya Governor James Orengo, Babu Owino, Suba South MP Caroli Omondi and Nairobi Senator Edwin Sifuna, alleging involvement in the violence.
The controversy had been building even before the rally. Linda Mwananchi leaders had publicly warned of a plan to disrupt their Homa Bay tour, while Interior PS Raymond Omollo had assured the movement that the government would provide security and allow political actors to campaign anywhere in the country provided they obeyed the law.
With NCIC now investigating political remarks, police investigating the violence and deaths, and rival political camps trading accusations, pressure is mounting for authorities to establish exactly who organised the violence, who participated and whether any political leaders or organisers played a role.
The death of Nalwanga has made the demand for answers even more urgent.