Skip to main content
waiguru
waiguru

WAIGURU’S DEVOLUTION MINISTRY FAILS TO ACCOUNT FOR SH45 BILLION

B

Boi Boi

@yobos · Oct 28 · 2 min read

Story · WAIGURU’S DEVOLUTION MINISTRY FAILS TO ACCOUNT FOR SH45 BILLION

Officials at the Ministry Devolution and Planning on Tuesday said they could not point to any specific project on which they spent nearly Sh45 billion from the Eurobond.

The department of planning was allocated the second largest share of money after infrastructure.

On Tuesday, a top official at the Devolution Ministry, who asked not to be named because he has no authority to comment, said that it was impossible to identify any project on which the money was used.

“The ministry gets a lumpsum amount from the Exchequer at the beginning of every financial year to support its recurrent and development expenditure. It is not possible to pinpoint which projects were funded by the various sources of government revenue, whether from the locally generated revenue or from the Direct Foreign Investment,” the official said.

At the time the bond was floated, the Government said the money was to pay off an expensive commercial loan and finance big infrastructure projects in railways and energy.

The Devolution Ministry, headed by Ms Anne Waiguru, has become the poster child of corruption and waste after it was discovered that Sh791 million meant for the National Youth Service had been stolen.

On Sunday, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich circulated a statement to the media giving a breakdown of how the Sh250 billion Eurobond money was distributed among ministries to fund various projects. Nairobi News

Be the first to react

Support

Tip the reporter

Direct via M-Pesa. Goes straight to the byline.

Send via M-Pesa →

Stay close

Get the next story

One email when something breaks. No spam.

Subscribe by email →

Share

Post to Status

Save the portrait card for WhatsApp Status / IG Stories.

Save image →

More from Boi Boi

Tip